Chopped salads are my life. I crave them 95% of the time and I have a salad every single week day for lunch, but just on the weekends or special occasions I make richer salads like this one.
This salad, which is very similar to my favourite one from Outback Steakhouse, is a blend of fresh flavours (mixed greens with shredded carrots, red cabbage, green onions, sweet candied pecans, tossed with Blue Cheese vinaigrette and topped with Blue Cheese crumbles). You will absolutely fall in love with this recipe.
The amazing mix of the sweet candied pecans and the smooth creamy strong taste of the blue cheese are very important because the blue cheese is such a strong part of the flavour and the candied pecans the sweetness one. If you skimp on those, you’ll be detracting from the entire salad.
- 1/2 cup Pecans - (sliced-lengthwise)
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp Butter - melted or Margarine
Blue Cheese vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup Olive oil - extra virgin
- 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp Sour cream
- 1 tbsp Honey - (use 2 if you like it a bit sweeter)
- 1 tbsp Basil - (chopped fresh)
- Salt - (optional - to taste)
- Black pepper - (optional - freshly Ground- to taste) or Paprika
- 1/4 cup Blue cheese - (crumbled)
- 3 cups Romain lettuce - (chopped) or bibb lettuce or butter lettuce
- 3 cups Red leaf lettuce - (chopped)
- 3 cups Iceberg lettuce - (chopped)
- 3 cups Red cabbage - (chopped)
- 1 cup Carrot - (shredded)
- Green onion - (chopped)
- 1 cup Fried noodle - (pieces)
- 1/2 cup Blue cheese - (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 190C (375F).
- Slice each pecan half into at least two lengthwise pieces.
- Toss the pecans with the melted butter, then with the cinnamon and sugar mixture, tossing well to make sure that the pecans are coated evenly.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and slide the pecans off of the parchment to cool, and set aside.
Blue Cheese vinaigrette
- Combine the chopped basil and Blue Cheese crumbles.
- Chop all of the lettuce and cabbage into smallish bite-sized pieces; and rinse them with cool water. Use a Salad Spinner to dry them.
- Slice the green onion and shred the carrots with a Food Processor.
- Place the chopped lettuce, cabbage and shredded carrots into a Large Mixing Bowl (large enough to allow you to toss the salad in).
- **Add the vinaigrette and toss the salad thoroughly to coat with the dressing.
- Sprinkle with the chopped green onion, ***Fried Noodles, crumbled blue cheese.
- Break the cooled caramelized pecan slices apart and sprinkle them over the salad and serve right away.
Hungry for more? A new post and/or recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question and/or feedback? Please leave a public comment here. That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and/or will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down and you will find the comment form. Comments are checked on a near-daily basis Monday through Friday and answered as soon as possible. Please don’t email me with recipe questions or feedback. I can’t keep up with them! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Get in Touch! Please contact me here or comment below!