This is SOOOOOO good… absolutely delicious! And not only is it a flavor bomb, you won’t believe how easy this beautiful dish is to make, all in one pan!!!
It requires just 5-minutes (or less) prep with only 4 ingredients and rich, delicious flavors! An easy one pot dish, healthy, simple, and gluten-free dinner recipe.
It is freezable and can easily be prepped ahead (as in make all the meals on the weekend and then stick them in the oven throughout the week).
If you’re a beginner, or just want something tasty and easy to cook, you should definitely give this a go!
- 3 Chicken - breast (or turkey breast)
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic - or 3 minced cloves
- Chicken broth mix - (or salt to taste)
- Basil - Dried – Optional to taste
- Oregano - Dried – Optional to taste
- Parsley - Dried – Optional to taste
- Thyme - Dried – Optional to taste
- Paprika - Optional to taste
- Black pepper - Optional to taste
- Salt - Optional to taste
- 3 tbsp Basil pesto sauce
- 1 Tomato - sliced (Roma is the best option)
- 3/4 cup Mozzarella cheese - (Italian blend cheese or Feta or Parmesan or Asiago or provolone)
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Place chicken breast in a glass baking dish or casserole dish. Season chicken with Lemon juice, Garlic, Chicken mix (or salt, to taste), Pepper (or Paprika optional to taste) and optional dried herbs such as: Basil, Oregano, Parsley and Thyme.
- Spread pesto on each chicken breast. If you don’t have homemade pesto, you can use store-bought Basil Pesto Sauce,
- Layer tomatoes on top of the chicken. I usually remove the seeds from tomatoes.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked (no longer pink in the middle) and cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Plate and enjoy with mixed greens salad, white rice and or Sauté potatoes. Pasta or steamed broccoli would also go nicely with this dish.
- It really is that easy!
Prep Ahead: You can assemble this Chicken Breast with Pesto, Tomato and Cheese 1-2 days before baking. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Then, follow regular baking instructions! Just allow 5-10 minutes more cooking time as the casserole will be starting from a cold state.
Make Ahead: Or you can bake the chicken in advance, but it DEFINITELY tastes best straight from the oven.
Freeze the extras: Double the recipe and freeze the extras. Coat chicken with pesto, arrange in freezer safe container and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (the tomatoes should not be added until you are ready to bake the dish). Loosely place a piece of plastic wrap directly on chicken. Cover the entire dish with a second sheet of plastic wrap. Store in the freezer for 1-3 months!
Note: If it is a little watery, just drain or use as a sauce for the rice or if you prefer, brown your chicken breast first (Browning your chickens first will keep the juices inside the chicken. 🙂):
- Heat a pan with a small amount of oil on high heat.
- Place the chicken in the pan for 2-3 minutes on high just to brown the chicken, repeat on the other side, repeat with all chicken breast.
- Continue with the recipe as directed.
Hungry for more? A new post and/or recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question and/or feedback? Please leave a public comment here. That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and/or will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down and you will find the comment form. Comments are checked on a near-daily basis Monday through Friday and answered as soon as possible. Please don’t email me with recipe questions or feedback. I can’t keep up with them! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Get in Touch! Please contact me here or comment below!