It’s easy, Fast, and colourful. It looks so festive that I decided to publish it for the New Year’s Eve parties.
Arroz à Grega (“Greek-style rice” – Although given the name “Greek”, in Greece there is no such rice dish) is a Brazilian dish, consisting of rice (of course) cooked with raisins and small pieces of vegetables, the most common of them are small cubes of carrot, green peas, sweet corn and green onions. It can get small bits of ham (smoked or not), sausage and/or turkey breast (smoked or not), among other processed meat supposed to be eaten cold, but if chicken meat or shrimps are used, it is instead known as risotto.
Arroz à Grega (Greek-style rice) is a complete meal! It can be served as the main dish, you can serve it all by itself, or as a side.
Brazilian Greek Style Rice (Arroz à grega) Fast2eat Recipe
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion small choped
- 2 Carrot Cooked in small small pieces in water or within the rice
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 3 cups Rice cooked *
- 1/2 cup Raisin (or Dried cranberry)
- 1/2 cup Ham smoked cubed (for a vegetarian version, skip this ingredient) or sausage or smoked turkey breast, or other processed meat
- 1/2 cup Sweet corn cooked or canned
- 1/2 cup Peas cooked or canned
- Green onion chopped
- Black pepper to taste (optional)
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
- If you haven’t cooked the carrots within the Rice, cook the carrot in small pieces in boiled water.
- Place a large Non-stick Frying Pan over medium heat and add the oil. Add the chopped onions, garlic and salt. Sauté until translucent, soft and fragrant, stirring constantly to not let brown.
- Add the smoked cubed Ham (or sausage or smoked turkey breast, or other processed meat) to the pan and stir. For a vegetarian version, skip this step.
- Fluff cooked Rice* with a fork and pour over the ham.
- Serve it hot (sprinkled with Grated Parmesan Cheese on top, if desired) by itself as a main dish or as a side. Unlike plain rice, it can be also purposed to be eaten cold or room temperature.
*Use fresh cooked or Left-over Brazilian Style Rice Fast2eat Recipe.
STORAGE: Greek rice can be refrigerated for up to 3-4 days. It won’t be the same but cooled rice can be frozen in a Ziploc bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Rice taken from a fridge should be heated in its own individual serving amount using microwave or streaming.
Other differences include what is added to the rice before the raisins and vegetables (might include biological colouring and even lentils, soy sauce, or rosemary), and how the rice is cooked. Use your imagination.
Hungry for more? A new post and/or recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question and/or feedback? Please leave a public comment here. That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and/or will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down and you will find the comment form. Comments are checked on a near-daily basis Monday through Friday and answered as soon as possible. Please don’t email me with recipe questions or feedback. I can’t keep up with them! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Get in Touch! Please contact me here or comment below!