There are hundreds of variations of Salted Codfish (Bacalhau) recipes, but my family’s favourite has always been the one from Almeida, a Portuguese family friend,
Bacalhau with potatoes and broccoli with his special sauce. It is so fast to make that you can have dinner ready in less than 30 minutes with no waste time.
Also, try this Bacalhau (Salted Codfish) Salad.
- 1 Kg Salted codfish - boneless skinless
- 4 Potato - peeled, washed, and thickly sliced
- 500 g Broccoli - florets
- 3 Onion - thinly sliced
- 10 cloves Garlic - thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup Olive oil
- Salt - (optional) to taste
- 1/4 cup White vinegar
- Bacalhau (Salted Codfish) needs to be soaked overnight (or for at least 10 hours) in several changes (at least once) of water to get rid of some of its salt. It’s a step that can’t be skipped, or the fish will be way too salty.
- Drain the bacalhau, rinse with fresh water. Cut into small pieces.
- Peel the potatoes then cut them into thick slices.
- To save time, boil the water using an Electric Kettle.
- Place the potatoes and bacalhau in a large straight-sided pot with clean boiled water. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are almost cooked.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook for more 4-5 minutes.
- Drain the bacalhau, potatoes and broccoli florets and place them in a Casserole Dish.
- Slice the onion and garlic.
- While bacalhau is cooking, heat olive oil in a small saucepan, add thinly sliced onion and garlic and cook, often stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- After golden, add the white vinegar and remove it from the heat.
- Portion the desired amount into dinner plates, apply the sauce directly on bacalhau, potatoes and broccoli florets.
- Complete the meal with simple white rice. Or, as in my case, with a green salad and this delicious coleslaw salad.
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Check out other Amazon deals and special discounts for Fast2eat readers.
Read bread-making further information in my book:
Hungry for more? A new post and recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here, but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe, please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question or feedback? Please comment below! That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down, and you will find the comment form.
Get in Touch!
I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.