The French term for this medium-thick white sauce is béchamel.
It’s a white sauce made from butter, milk, flour and salt.
It’s the basic recipe that with a few additions can turn into a cheese sauce, and also can be used as an important base for soufflés. Béchamel (white) sauce with chicken broth is a variation of it with a mild flavour of the chicken.
Basic Béchamel (white) sauce Fast2eat Recipe
- In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted.
- To save time and avoid shedding tears, chop the onion using an Electric Chopper.
- Cook the onion, Minced Garlic and salt in the butter until tender, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle the flour on the butter and onion and stir with a Silicone Whisk until smooth.
- Let the butter and flour mixture cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat, whisking constantly. That way, your bechamel won’t taste like flour.
- Add the milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. If you stop whisking, your sauce will be lumpy. Bring to a boil (over medium-high heat).
- When the consistency of your sauce becomes thick and creamy, remove from the heat and season with salt and nutmeg. Taste seasoning and add salt and/or pepper to taste if need.
- For a cheesy tasty, add Grated Parmesan Cheese.
- Set aside until ready to use.
To properly prepare your recipe, you may need to use the conversion tables to accurately convert the weight, volume, length, and temperature of all the necessary ingredients. These Fast2eat conversion tables will allow you to ensure that your recipe turns out perfectly and that all measurements are precise and accurate.
Equipments - Click to Buy Now
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made using these links don’t cost any extra and provide Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
Hungry for more? A new post and/or recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question and/or feedback? Please leave a public comment here. That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and/or will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down and you will find the comment form. Comments are checked on a near-daily basis Monday through Friday and answered as soon as possible. Please don’t email me with recipe questions or feedback. I can’t keep up with them! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Get in Touch! Please contact me here or comment below!