No red dye in this Red velvet cake? You bet. Beets act as natural food colouring giving it a very deep red colouring.
Using raw beets and adding lemon juice for acidity helps retain their colour, making the cake even redder. No one will know there are any vegetables in there, so we won’t tell if you don’t!
This Red Velvet Beet Cake is easy to make and tasty to eat!
It is a very delicious and healthier alternative for a very moist cake! Love using the beets as a “secret ingredient” for moisture.
Aside from the fibre-fabulousness of beets and their other benefits (from being touted as detoxifying and anti-inflammatory to being a source of vitamin C), this recipe replaces the butter with extra-virgin olive oil.
Surprisingly good, healthy, fluffy and moist. And it also serves its purpose to get rid of extra beets you may have.
I like it with this shiny Chocolate icing Fast2eat Recipe (AKA Brigadeiro), but next time I will try with a cream cheese frosting, as on a traditional Red Velvet.
This beet cake recipe is similar to one for carrot cake but with a bright red batter instead of a lovely light orange colour.
- 3 Beet - (about 300g small in pieces - 1 small beet is about 100g)
- 2 Egg
- 75 ml Lemon juice - or lime juice
- 1/4 cup Oil - or extra virgin olive
- 1½ cup All-purpose flour
- 1½ cups Sugar
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- Peel beets using a vegetable peeler.
- Using a blender, beat the eggs, oil, lime (or lemon) juice and beat until smooth.
- Add flour and sugar, to a Large Mixing Bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- Add the mixed liquid through flour mixture and whisk until combined well.
- Add the Baking Powder and slowly mix it.
- Preheat the oven to 180–190°C (350–375°F). Grease with Cooking Spray and flour a 9-Inch Cake Pan or a Fluted Tube/Bundt Pan.
- Bake for approximately 25-40min (depending on your pan) or until a toothpick or Cake Tester inserted in the center of the chocolate cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and if using a Fluted Tube/Bundt Pan, let cool to just barely warm before inverting.
- Transfer to a Cake Serving Platter.
- Finish it with this chocolate icing and garnish as desired.
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made by using these links don’t cost any extra and provides Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
Check out Amazon deals and special discounts for Fast2eat readers.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.Share on Facebook
Hungry for more? A new post and/or recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question and/or feedback? Please leave a public comment here. That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and/or will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down and you will find the comment form. Comments are checked on a near-daily basis Monday through Friday and answered as soon as possible. Please don’t email me with recipe questions or feedback. I can’t keep up with them! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Get in Touch! Please contact me here or comment below!