Ready to Get Cooking?
Welcome to Fast2eat! If you’re looking for easy-to-prepare, nutritious, delicious, and Fast-2-eat recipes, then you’re in the right place.
This bread has a lovely crunch, especially when toasted, which is how I have it in the morning with hummus. It is oftentimes the base of my sandwiches, grilled cheese, etc. My husband loves it with peanut butter, butter or a spread of Nutella. You are going to love it.
Bulgur’s flavour is wheaty, its texture crunchy-tender.
Make this bread when you want a hearty loaf full of whole wheat flavour and goodness. This isn’t really a wheat bread, per se, because it’s made with bread flour, and bulgur is stirred into the dough, but my point is this: If you’re a wheat bread lover like me, you will find yourself head over heels for this bread, too.
It makes an excellent loaf for slicing or shaped into rolls for dinner.
You may be asking: “What is Bulgur Wheat?”
A staple in Middle Eastern kitchens, bulgur is made from partially hulled whole wheat kernels (wheatberries) that have been soaked and steamed, dried and then cracked.
Because it is already cooked, it only requires rehydrating and no further cooking to serving.
Sometimes bulgur is incorrectly labelled as cracked wheat. Bulghur and cracked wheat look alike and can be substituted for each other in this recipe, but they are not the same: cracked wheat isn’t pre-cooked, as bulgur is.
Bulghur has a longer shelf life because of the precooking than cracked wheat. Even though they sound very similar, they are not necessarily interchangeable in all recipes. Both products can be found in your natural food section or in middle eastern markets. Both grains are very nutritious and high in fibre.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I love seeing your take on my recipe!
Comment below with your experience, snap a pic, use #fast2eat and tag us on
Thank you so much for reading, commenting, following and sharing.
Hydrating the bulgur
- 1/2 cup Water - boiling
- 3/8 cup Bulgur wheat - 3/8 cup = 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp
Preparing the bread
- Hydrated bulgur - from the previous step (or 3/8 cup cracked wheat)
- 3/4 cup Water - lukewarm - 80-90°F/26-32°C
- 2 1/4 tbsp Honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp Butter - room temperature - or margarine
- 3 1/4 cups Bread flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Active dry yeast
Instacart is available in the US only at the moment.
Hydrating the bulgur
- In a small bowl, soak the bulgur wheat in boiling water, cover and let stand for at least 1 hour.
Preparing the bread
- Attach the kneading blade to the Bread Maker pan.
- Place ingredients to the bread pan following the recipe order (or following the order and method specified in your Bread Maker manual – mine is: FIRST, liquid ingredients; SECOND, dry ingredients; LAST, yeast). Note: With a finger or a knife, make a small indentation in the middle of the flour. Add yeast to indentation, making sure it does not come into contact with the liquid ingredients.
- Carefully insert bread pan into Bread Maker and gently close the lid.
- Select the “Whole Wheat” bread setting. If available, choose crust colour (I usually set Medium, but if you prefer, set Light or Dark) and loaf size (2LB) and press the Start button.
- It will mix and bake the bread. When the baking cycle is complete, press the stop button and unplug the breadmaker.
- Open the lid and while using Oven Mitt, firmly grasp the bread pan handle and gently pull the pan straight up and out of the machine. CAUTION: The Bread Maker and pan may be very hot! Always handle with care.
- Use non-stick Spatula to gently loosen the sides of the bread from the pan.
- Turn the bread pan upside down onto a Wire Cooling Rack or clean cooking surface and gently shake until bread falls out onto the rack.
- Cool for about 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- To make perfect slices every time, use a Bread Slicer with an Electric Knife.
- If it’s too dry, add lukewarm liquid a teaspoon at a time until it looks right.
- If it looks too wet, add flour a tablespoon at a time until it looks right.
- If there is flour on the sides of the pan, use a Silicone Spatula to wipe the flour from the pan.
Weather can affect your ingredients If you live in a moist climate, chances are you’ll need at least the recommended amount of flour, maybe even 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup more. Bread dough should be sticky but still manageable, especially after the first rise. While you’re kneading, the dough should come together and pull away from the sides of the bowl, leaving the bowl mostly clean. I usually aim to have the very bottom of the dough still attached to the bowl. Try not to add too much flour because your bread will be denser. When you pick the dough up, some will stick to your fingers. After the first rise, it will be easier to handle!
You may also make this bread without the aid of a bread machine or make the dough in a bread machine and bake it in the oven. Make the dough using your usual method (by hand, electric mixer or bread machine); allow it to rise until puffy, then shape it into a log, and place it in a lightly greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch (21.5 x 11.5 cm) bread pan. Allow the loaf to rise, covered, until it's crowned about 1 inch over the rim of the pan. If you want, brush the risen loaf with the beaten egg white, and sprinkle it with seeds. Bake it in a preheated 350°F/175°C oven for 35 minutes, or until its interior temperature registers 190°F/88°C on an instant-read thermometer. Remove the bread from the oven, remove it from the pan, and cool it on a wire rack.
How can you tell if the bread is fully baked? I like to use a food thermometer. Mine is digital, so it’s straightforward to use. Fully cooked bread will be 190-200°F/88-93°C. Bread recipes that include milk will need to cook until 200°F/93°C, but without you can take it out once it reaches 190°F/88°C. The top will be golden brown.
- Everything You Need to Know to Start Baking Awesome Bread Using a Bread Maker
- Fast2eat Foolproof (Bread maker) Bread Recipes
* “Long-term dietary intake of gluten was not associated with risk of coronary heart disease. However, the avoidance of gluten may result in reduced consumption of beneficial whole grains, which may affect cardiovascular risk. The promotion of gluten-free diets among people without celiac disease should not be encouraged.” (Source: http://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1892)
* Content and images based on Sunbeam CKSBBR9050-033 Bread Maker User Manual Retrieved from https://www.sunbeam.ca/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-sunbeam-ca-Library/default/dw500b4350/documents/instruction-manuals/CKSBBR9050-033.pdf
Equipments - Click to Buy Now
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made by using these links don’t cost any extra and provides Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
How do you get a quick and nutritious meal on the table at the end of a busy day?
I love creating fast and healthy meals that can make a huge difference.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.Share on Facebook
Check out what I’ve been busy cooking!
Want More? Check Out My Cookbooks!
Did you know you could make more than bread in the bread machine? My cookbooks will walk you through how you can make pizza dough, pasta, cake, and of course, bread in a bread machine. With over 130 recipes, there is something for everyone!
Don’t have a bread machine? No problem! The book contains a guide to convert all bread machine recipes to manual recipes. The guide also allows you to convert manual recipes you may already have to bread machine recipes.
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Hungry for more? Follow us on Social Media!
We post new recipes every Friday! Stay up to date by following us on
All Your Favourite Recipes in One Place!
Become a member of Fast2eat and get these benefits:
- Save, upload, and track all of your favourite recipes.
- Plan your meal for the week with the Fast2eat Meal Calendar.
- Create a full course menu for special events.
- Personalize and create as many recipe collections as you want.
- Generate shopping lists.
Got a question or feedback? Please comment below! That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and will benefit from your feedback.
Get in Touch!
I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.