Ready to Get Cooking?
Welcome to Fast2eat! If you’re looking for easy-to-prepare, nutritious, delicious, and Fast-2-eat recipes, then you’re in the right place.
A fajita in Tex-Mex and Mexican cuisine is any grilled meat that is usually served as a taco on a flour or corn tortilla. So you can literally make these fajitas with any meat you like. However, chicken fajitas are my favourite.
With onions and colourful bell pepper strips and the traditional flour (or corn) tortillas, sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole (or sliced avocado) and/or salsa (or pico de gallo or diced tomatoes) for the best dinner in minutes! Or wrap them in a lettuce leaf for a low-carb option. This is such a great meal, it’s filling, and it’s delicious, and you can truly put this together any night of the week in half an hour.
It is made with a homemade seasoning mix. Spicy, salty, perfectly flavoured seasoning mix made at home with spices that you already have in your spice rack! So easy, so yummy, and no chemicals or preservatives!
This chicken fajita is definitely healthy, lean chicken, fresh peppers and homemade seasonings.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I love seeing your take on my recipe!
Comment below with your experience, snap a pic, use #fast2eat and tag us on
Thank you so much for reading, commenting, following and sharing.
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 kg Chicken - about 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast – 170g/6 ounces each
- Lime Juice - or lemon juice to taste
- 2 Onion - halved and sliced lengthwise
- 1 tbsp Garlic - minced
- 1 Red Bell pepper - sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell pepper - sliced
- 1 Orange Bell pepper - sliced
- 6 Tortillas - flour or corn or lettuce leaf for a low carb option
- Sour cream - to taste
- Cheese - mix shredded optional to taste
- Guacamole - optional to taste– see recipe here or sliced avocado
- Salsa - optional to taste – or pico de gallo or diced tomatoes
- Lettuce - optional to taste
Instacart is available in the US only at the moment.
- Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Wrap the tortillas in foil and warm them in the oven.
- Cut the chicken breasts into long strips. If you like, add some lemon (or lime) juice; set aside.
- Slice the onion lengthwise; set aside.
- Slice the peppers into long 0.5 cm/0.55 inch strips; set aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet (you could also easily use a hot grill).
- Add the chicken to the skillet then sprinkle about half of the seasoning mix over the chicken and toss.
- Add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes until it's slightly translucent.
- Add garlic and cook the chicken with onions until it's almost cooked and no longer pink.
- Add the peppers and the remaining fajita seasoning and toss with the chicken. Cook bell peppers until crisp-tender. The peppers should be slightly cooked, you don't want them overcooked, they should be a bit crunchy. And chicken should be slightly charred, but not burned.
- If needed, as soon as the oil begins to smoke add some lemon (or lime) juice to deglaze. Use a spatula to scrape up some of the browned bits.
- When you are ready to serve, remove tortillas from the oven and top with sour cream, the seared chicken, peppers, onion, shredded cheese, guacamole (or sliced avocado), salsa (or pico de gallo or diced tomatoes), thinly sliced lettuce and/or any of your favourite toppings.
- Fajitas can also be made with grilled skirt steak (when making steak fajitas it makes a lot of sense to quickly sear the meat. You want the steak to be rare in the middle.), or pork or shrimp.
- If using making steak, quickly sear it and set aside. Then cook the peppers and onions in the same pan while the meat is resting.
- If you prefer you can marinate the chicken before. In a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, combine lemon juice, with half of the seasoning mix and chicken strips. Seal and toss the bag around to coat. Save time by marinating the chicken while you prep the onions and peppers.
- If marinating, it should be 20 minutes for chicken, 15 minutes for shrimp and 1 hour for skirt steak.
- You can marinate up to 24 hours in advance in the fridge, but any longer than that and the lime juice in the marinade will start to “cook” the meat.
- You can top them with low-fat cheese and Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Load them up with crisp lettuce and juicy ripe tomatoes too!
- You can get creative with the toppings. Olives, shredded veggies such as carrots or cabbage, they all making amazing toppings!
- Squeeze additional lime overtop and serve over tortillas.
- Mexican oregano has a more citrusy, peppery bite but is similar in flavour to the sweeter Mediterranean oregano. Either works.
- Chicken breast or thighs - This one is a personal preference, There’s no right or wrong.
- I choose three different coloured bell peppers to get the best visual impact of seeing fajitas on a plate. You can also add green or use whatever colours you can find in your store.
Equipments - Click to Buy Now
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made by using these links don’t cost any extra and provides Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
How do you get a quick and nutritious meal on the table at the end of a busy day?
I love creating fast and healthy meals that can make a huge difference.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.Share on Facebook
Check out what I’ve been busy cooking!
Want More? Check Out My Cookbooks!
Did you know you could make more than bread in the bread machine? My cookbooks will walk you through how you can make pizza dough, pasta, cake, and of course, bread in a bread machine. With over 130 recipes, there is something for everyone!
Don’t have a bread machine? No problem! The book contains a guide to convert all bread machine recipes to manual recipes. The guide also allows you to convert manual recipes you may already have to bread machine recipes.
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Hungry for more? Follow us on Social Media!
We post new recipes every Friday! Stay up to date by following us on
All Your Favourite Recipes in One Place!
Become a member of Fast2eat and get these benefits:
- Save, upload, and track all of your favourite recipes.
- Plan your meal for the week with the Fast2eat Meal Calendar.
- Create a full course menu for special events.
- Personalize and create as many recipe collections as you want.
- Generate shopping lists.
Got a question or feedback? Please comment below! That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and will benefit from your feedback.
Get in Touch!
I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.