A unique spread made with pieces of white chicken meat and mixed with mayonnaise! It’s delicious as a snack, appetizer or light meal.
It only takes five minutes to make and can be made ahead of time, which makes it perfect for parties.
It’s the perfect topping for crackers, tortilla chips, pita chips, bread… whatever you love to use for dipping!
This is a great recipe to make-ahead at the beginning of the week for grab-and-go lunches, when we have a busy schedule ahead.
Classic Chicken Spread is also the perfect thing to serve for lunch, as a salad or over a bed of lettuce along with other options like Macaroni Chicken Salad. It’s the perfect dish to bring to a picnic or a potluck get-together.
Serve chicken Spread as a sandwich, on top of tomato slices, and/or over greens. Or use the spread to fill small buns or rolls for a party or gathering.
You can also serve with cut up celery, mini carrot and bell peppers, or on a lettuce wrap for a low carb option.
For fun snack or party food, spread the chicken salad on flour tortillas, roll up into a tight log, chill, and cut into bite-size pieces.
If you are looking for some simple ideas for back-to-school lunch boxes or weekend lunches, this chicken spread is always a hit.
The formula is very basic; it’s a versatile spread that lends itself to all kinds of variations and additions (see notes).
You can use this Pre-cooked Chicken for this recipe, it’s easy, and they offer fresh flavour. Or canned chicken is a real convenience for busy days when you don’t have time to cook chicken. A store-bought rotisserie chicken is another possible choice, just remove the skin and chop into pieces.
Also check this Tuna Spread Fast2eat.
- 1.5 cup Chicken - about 0.77Lb - 350g Pre-cooked Chicken or a 354g of canned chicken breast
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise - Add more mayo if you'd like smoother creamy chicken spread
- Fresh herbs - to taste – optionalbut important if using canned chicken
- Garlic - to taste - minced or powder – optional but important if using canned chicken
- Onion flakes - to taste- optional but important if using canned chicken
- Black pepper - to taste - ground – optional
- If using canned chicken any type of canned chicken breast will work, just be sure to drain it.
- Using a mini food processor, blend until smooth.
- This recipe takes a total time of 5 minutes to throw together, but I like to refrigerate it for at least an hour to give the flavours a chance to come together.
- Use Greek yogourt instead of mayo for a lighter salad.
- Use extra-virgin olive oil instead of mayo for a looser salad.
- Add diced apples, grapes, raisins, craisins or dried fruit to the basic recipe to add a sweet and savoury flavour.
- Add diced fennel, shredded cabbage, diced cucumbers, celery, or any other crunchy vegetable.
- Add chopped fresh herbs, green onion, chives, red onion, fresh dill, tarragon, paprika, curry powder, Dijon or even mustard, chipotle seasoning, cayenne pepper, Creole or Cajun seasoning or any other spice mix in your cupboard.
- Add crunchy nutty chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews or water chestnuts.
- Add cubed avocado or replace the mayo with pureed avocado and sour cream for an avocado chicken salad.
- Make BBQ chicken salad by adding your favorite BBQ sauce in place of some of the mayonnaise.
- Add a dash of with pickled jalapenos for a spicy version.
- Add crisp cooked crumbled bacon.
- I also love the combination of the cream cheese with bits of chicken, a bite from the onion and the flavour of the soy sauce.
- You can really add a lot of flavour to the dish depending on what you like such as shopped eggs, crushed pineapple, Olives, Pickles, Bell Peppers...
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made by using these links don’t cost any extra and provides Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
Check out Amazon deals and special discounts for Fast2eat readers.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.Share on Facebook
Hungry for more? A new post and/or recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question and/or feedback? Please leave a public comment here. That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and/or will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down and you will find the comment form. Comments are checked on a near-daily basis Monday through Friday and answered as soon as possible. Please don’t email me with recipe questions or feedback. I can’t keep up with them! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Get in Touch! Please contact me here or comment below!