This Brazilian creamy Shrimp is really easy to make and is the perfect dish to serve at any dinner party. It is my favourite dish!
Delicious, moist, creamy shrimp (and/or prawn), onion, garlic, and cream cheese (or catupiry, a Brazilian creamy cheese)! It’s a simple dish that is going to wow you and your guests. It is delicious and beautiful.
Serve it with rice and potato sticks (batata palha).
You can also use this creamy shrimp as a quiche filling (Enpadão de camarão).
Check out my article with the Smart tips you should know when cooking shrimp for a perfect shrimp every time.
- Shrimp - heads (optional), shells, and tails
- Water - hot
- 1 tbsp Hondashi - *(Bonito fish Soup Stock)
- 250 g Cream cheese - optional
- Parsley - (and/or Cilantro)
Instacart is available in the US only at the moment.
- Give Shrimp heads, shells, and tails a quick rinse under cold water first.
- To save time boil the water using an Electric Kettle.
- Place the heads, shells, and tails in a Small Saucepan with enough cold water to just cover the shells. Add HonDashi (Bonito Fish Soup Stock) to improve the taste.
- Simmer the whole thing uncovered until the water takes on a light orange-stock colour, about 15 minutes, then Strain all the shells out. Use the stock in your shrimp recipe for an extra boost of flavor.
- Season shrimp (peeled) with salt, Lemon Juice, Thyme Leaves, Cilantro Leaves, HonDashi (Bonito Fish Soup Stock), Paprika, Parsley, chives or green onion.
- In a Saucepan heat the oil (Extra Virgin Olive Oil or vegetable oil) and saute the chopped onion and Minced Garlic.
- Add the seasoned shrimp and saute the shrimp until pink.
- Add the tomato sauce and cook for 5 min. Be careful if overcook shrimp becomes chewy.
- Remove shrimp and set aside.
- Add the flour dissolved in milk and shrimp stock (for each 1 cup milk + 1 cup Shrimp stock use 2-3 tbsp white flour), salt and pepper to taste. You can also use Low Salt Soy Sauce instead of more salt. Stir until boiling and thickened.
- Add the cream (whipping cream/thick cream/heavy cream/evaporated milk) and remove from heat
Finishing (with the casserole dish)
- Cover the sides and bottom of the Casserole Dish with cream cheese.
- Pour shrimp into the casserole dish, then Shrimp cream and then again the shrimp.
- Finish with the cream cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180C (356F) for about 15 minutes
- In a skillet, brown the onion in olive oil. Place the prawns and fry on both sides.
- Sprinkle with parsley and garnish the surface with large fried shrimp or just boiled in salted water.
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made by using these links don’t cost any extra and provides Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
How do you get a quick and nutritious meal on the table at the end of a busy day?
I love creating fast and healthy meals that can make a huge difference.
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Garnishes and optional ingredients are not included.Share on Facebook
Hungry for more? A new post and/or recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question and/or feedback? Please leave a public comment here. That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and/or will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down and you will find the comment form. Comments are checked on a near-daily basis Monday through Friday and answered as soon as possible. Please don’t email me with recipe questions or feedback. I can’t keep up with them! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Get in Touch! Please contact me here or comment below!