Ready to Get Cooking?
Welcome to Fast2eat! If you’re looking for easy-to-prepare, nutritious, delicious, and Fast-2-eat recipes, then you’re in the right place.
Meringue flan is surprising because of its simplicity, its attractive appearance and its wonderful taste and texture. A soft, spongy, and very delicate texture. Like a cotton cloud. It is challenging to explain in words how absolutely wonderful it is.
In Brazil, it is called “Pudim de Claras” (egg white pudding), and in Portugal, “Pudim Molotov.”
It is straightforward and easy to make and makes a wonderful delicious light dessert treat, and it looks so pretty too!
My mom used to make it as the solution for the egg whites’ leftover out of the egg yolk used in her famous Quindim recipe. My mom used to make the best quindim in the world. You can ask anyone who has tried it. Another dessert that is always in my childhood memories.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I love seeing your take on my recipe!
Comment below with your experience, snap a pic, use #fast2eat and tag us on
Thank you so much for reading, commenting, following and sharing.
Meringue flan Fast2eat
- 6 Egg white - room temperature
- 3/4 cups Sugar
- 1 pinch Salt
- Lime Zest - or vanilla extract – optional
To grease the pan
Grease the pan
- Generously grease a 20-23 cm/8-9” diameter tube pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar until all the walls of the pan are covered.
- Turn to remove excess sugar. Set aside.
- Or see notes to use caramel syrup.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. See notes.
- Using a clean and grease-free electric mixer with the whisker attachment, beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt on medium-low speed.
- When it starts to foam and acquire a denser consistency, slowly increase the speed and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Continue to increase speed until firm peaks are reached. This can take about 10-15 minutes.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add the sugar, little by little, without stopping beating.
- Beat for about 10 minutes until well incorporated, and stiff peaks form.
- Turn off the mixer and fold in lime zest (or vanilla extract) if using.
- Gently scoop the meringue into a greased tube pan (or with the caramel syrup), taking care not to leave large air pockets between meringue scoops and smooth the top.
- Gently tap the pan onto the counter to avoid air bubbles.
- Smooth the surface with a silicone spatula.
- Bring a kettle with some water to a boil. It will be used to make a water bath (bain-marie) to bake the pudding.
- Place a large ovenproof baking pan into a preheated oven to 350°F/180°C.
- The baking pan must not be too close to the top element, or else the meringue will burn.
- Place the tube pan with the mixture into the baking pan, fill the baking pan with boiling water so that it comes halfway up the tube pan.
- Bake it in a water bath (bain-marie) for 20-35 minutes until firm or until a knife inserted in the centre comes off clean. It must look golden at the top. It will raise above the pan while baking. Then it will shrink as it cools.
- Turn the oven off, open the door slightly and let it stand inside the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and out of the water bath to cool for 10 minutes.
- Refrigerate, covered, for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, run the tip of a knife around the inside of the pan so it may unstick.
- If using caramel syrup, heat the base of the pan on the stove to loosen any hardened caramel.
- Place a serving plate over the pan and unmold flan by carefully and quickly flipping it over the serving plate. The flan should slide out easily. If not, give the pan a firm but careful shake.
- Spoon the syrup on top and serve.
To properly prepare your recipe, you may need to use the conversion tables to accurately convert the weight, volume, length, and temperature of all the necessary ingredients. These Fast2eat conversion tables will allow you to ensure that your recipe turns out perfectly and that all measurements are precise and accurate.
Equipments - Click to Buy Now
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made using these links don’t cost any extra and provide Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
Check out what I’ve been busy cooking!
Want More? Check Out My Cookbooks!
Did you know you could make more than bread in the bread machine? My cookbooks will walk you through how you can make pizza dough, pasta, cake, and of course, bread in a bread machine. With over 130 recipes, there is something for everyone!
Don’t have a bread machine? No problem! The book contains a guide to convert all bread machine recipes to manual recipes. The guide also allows you to convert manual recipes you may already have to bread machine recipes.
Check out “Bread Machine Foolproof Recipes” and “Bread Machine Tips and Tricks” on Amazon!
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Hungry for more? Follow us on Social Media!
We post new recipes every Friday! Stay up to date by following us on
All Your Favourite Recipes in One Place!
Become a member of Fast2eat and get these benefits:
- Save, upload, and track all of your favourite recipes.
- Plan your meal for the week with the Fast2eat Meal Calendar.
- Create a full course menu for special events.
- Personalize and create as many recipe collections as you want.
- Generate shopping lists.
Got a question or feedback? Please comment below! That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and will benefit from your feedback.
Get in Touch!
I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.