Ready to Get Cooking?
Welcome to Fast2eat! If you’re looking for easy-to-prepare, nutritious, delicious, and Fast-2-eat recipes, then you’re in the right place.
This bright, tasty, hearty, Mediterranean salad is perfect for when you want an easy, satisfying meal fast. It is the perfect make-ahead for a potluck or your next big BBQ gathering. But it also makes a perfectly satisfying family dinner.
The big Mediterranean flavours here come from fresh herbs and zippy citrus and olive oil dressing with a few spices. Healthy, protein-packed, and fibre-rich chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans, are packed with vitamins and minerals, a powerhouse ingredient that is part of the Mediterranean diet. They set off shrimp, poultry, and lamb beautifully. Lemon chicken is another great option to add. Shrimp is my favourite, and it cooks in just a few minutes. I always keep a bag of shrimp in my freezer for those nights that I need to whip up something quickly.
You can totally serve this salad in its vegan version. Just omit the shrimp. Be sure to see tips and cook’s notes for other variations.
It’s good served cold or at room temperature. Make it a couple of hours ahead for full flavour impact. Cover and refrigerate to let the flavours meld. Or, make it a few minutes ahead and leave it at room temperature as you work on other things. Enjoy leftovers straight from the fridge the next day with a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
Check out my article with the Smart tips you should know when cooking shrimp for a perfect shrimp every time.
Did You Make This Recipe?
I love seeing your take on my recipe!
Comment below with your experience, snap a pic, use #fast2eat and tag us on
Thank you so much for reading, commenting, following and sharing.
Shrimp and chickpeas Mediterranean salad Fast2eat
Cook chickpeas (or use 2 cans)
- 2 cups chickpea - uncooked, soaked for 12 hours
- Water - boiling – enough to cover
- 2 leaves Bay leaf
- 500 g shrimp - peeled and deveined
- Lemon juice - or lime juice
- Cilantro - Fresh
- Coriander seed
- Thyme - Fresh
- Ladyfinger pepper - chopped and seeded or red-pepper flakes
- Paprika - optional to taste
- Salt - optional to taste
- Black pepper - optional to taste
Prepare the salad
- chickpea - Cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed - canned chickpeas are fine
- 1 Onion - or red onion or shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cups Tomato - cherry, halved or Roma, diced
- 2 Green onion - trimmed and chopped (both white and green parts or 2 tablespoons fresh chives finely chopped
- 1 Parsley - fresh, chopped
- 1 Mint - fresh leaves, chopped
- 1 Lemon juice - or lime - cut into 8 wedges, for serving
Cook chickpeas (or use 2 cans)
- Soak dried chickpeas for at least 12 hours before cooking.
- Discard the water and throw it in a pressure cooker and cook for 20 minutes.
- Refrigerate while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Peel and devein the shrimp.
- In a small bowl, toss the shrimp with freshly squeezed lime (or lemon) and your favourite herbs and spices.
- Let it marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
Fry the garlic and shrimp
- Heat the olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high until shimmering. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimp to the pan, season with salt and pepper and stir to coat with the garlic and oil. Cook until the shrimp are pink all over with a golden crust in parts, stirring and flipping the shrimp halfway through, about 4 to 6 minutes total.
- Turn off the heat, then squeeze the marinated over the shrimp in the pan, stirring to combine and scraping up anything on the bottom of the pan to coat the shrimp.
- Set aside and let it cool down before adding to the salad.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice and Dijon. Whisk in olive oil until smooth. Season with herbs, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Scald the onion
- Just throw boiled water on chopped onion, drain, rinse with cold water, drain and repeat the process. This will give it a smoother flavour and reduces its bitterness and pungency.
Prepare the salad
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked and cooled chickpeas, fried and cooled shrimp, chopped and scalded onion, diced tomatoes, chopped green onions, parsley and mint.
- Pour the dressing on top of the salad, toss to coat.
- If needed, season with salt and pepper.
- It is good served cold or at room temperature.
- Garnish and serve.
- A little fresh lemon juice is the dish's final seasoning.
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, cut crosswise into thin strips
- Spinach, well washed, stemmed, and coarsely chopped
- 1 leaf kale
- Add chopped arugula as a delicious topper to this dish when serving.
- ½-1 cucumber (English, diced)
- ¾ cup crumbled Feta
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives
To properly prepare your recipe, you may need to use the conversion tables to accurately convert the weight, volume, length, and temperature of all the necessary ingredients. These Fast2eat conversion tables will allow you to ensure that your recipe turns out perfectly and that all measurements are precise and accurate.
Equipments - Click to Buy Now
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made using these links don’t cost any extra and provide Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.
Check out what I’ve been busy cooking!
Want More? Check Out My Cookbooks!
Did you know you could make more than bread in the bread machine? My cookbooks will walk you through how you can make pizza dough, pasta, cake, and of course, bread in a bread machine. With over 130 recipes, there is something for everyone!
Don’t have a bread machine? No problem! The book contains a guide to convert all bread machine recipes to manual recipes. The guide also allows you to convert manual recipes you may already have to bread machine recipes.
Check out “Bread Machine Foolproof Recipes” and “Bread Machine Tips and Tricks” on Amazon!
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.”
Hungry for more? Follow us on Social Media!
We post new recipes every Friday! Stay up to date by following us on
All Your Favourite Recipes in One Place!
Become a member of Fast2eat and get these benefits:
- Save, upload, and track all of your favourite recipes.
- Plan your meal for the week with the Fast2eat Meal Calendar.
- Create a full course menu for special events.
- Personalize and create as many recipe collections as you want.
- Generate shopping lists.
Got a question or feedback? Please comment below! That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and will benefit from your feedback.
Get in Touch!
I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.