Tabule (also Tabbouleh, tabbouleh or tab(b)ouli) is a vegetarian dish (sometimes considered a salad) made of Bulgar, tomatoes, finely chopped fresh mint, parsley, green onion, and onion, all tossed and seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice, and salt.
I grew up with this recipe, and I love it, but feel free to make your own variations. Some possible variations: add cucumber, garlic or lettuce, or use couscous or quinoa instead of Bulgar.
- 250 g Bulgur wheat - (1 1/3 cup) extra fine ground (not coarse)
- 4 Tomato - finely-diced
- 1 Onion - chopped
- Green onions - chopped
- Parsley - chopped
- Basil - chopped
- Mint - chopped
- 1/4 cup Olive oil - extra virgin
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice - or lime juice
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- In a Bowl soak the bulgur wheat in water, cover and let stand for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
- Add the onion, mint, parsley and basil to a Food Processor and pulse until grated.
- Drain the Bulgur pressing well to eliminate any excess water
- Remove the seeds and chop the tomatoes, and green onions using a sharp Knife. Be sure to use firm tomatoes. Once chopped, place the tomatoes in a Colander or Strainer to drain excess juice.
- I don’t use but if using cucumbers use the English Cucumbers or If you choose to use the American cucumbers, be sure to remove the skin; cut the cucumber in halves and remove most of the seeds then proceed to chop.
- Place the chopped vegetables, herbs and green onions in a Mixing Bowl or dish. Add the bulgur and mix gently.
- Add the the Lemon Juice and olive oil and mix again.
- Add the salt just before eat, salt will cause tomatoes to release their juices and you may need to drain some of the juice out.
- Serve the tabule over fresh lettuce leaves with Baked Kibbeh Fast2eat Recipe or a side of pita and romaine lettuce leaves, which act as wraps or “boats” for the tabule.
Disclosure: “As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Purchases made by using these links don’t cost any extra and provides Fast2eat with a few pennies to keep the lights on.”
Check out Amazon deals and special discounts for Fast2eat readers.
Hungry for more? A new post and/or recipe every Friday!
Once you make my recipes, I would love to see your creations, so please let me know! Leave a comment below, take a photo and tag it on your preferred Social Media with hashtag #Fast2eat.
All text and photographs on Fast2eat are copyright protected. You are welcome to share my recipes and photos through social media as long as you prominently link back to the original post. You do not need to ask my permission to link to content published here but you DO need my permission to publish my recipes and photos. Please do not use any material from this site without obtaining prior permission. If you’d like to post this recipe on your site, please link back to this post. And remember, when you adapt my recipe please acknowledge the source with “adapted from…” designating the source with the link of my recipe.
Thanks for reading and sharing.
Got a question and/or feedback? Please leave a public comment here. That way, other readers will be able to see the answers to your question and/or will benefit from your feedback. Scroll down and you will find the comment form. Comments are checked on a near-daily basis Monday through Friday and answered as soon as possible. Please don’t email me with recipe questions or feedback. I can’t keep up with them! I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.
Get in Touch! Please contact me here or comment below!